Saturday 20 April 2019

Another Star Magnolia painting - as promised


In my previous post I had already promised that I would paint another Star Magnolia after the reference picture I had made in the 'Von Gimborn Arboretum' during our last visit.
One of the flowers in the picture had not opened completely and did really look stunning in front of the dark green background.

I have simplified the background again, in reality there are lots of trees and bushes making this a very crowded scene while I just want to show the beauty of the flower.
In the vicinity of the magnolia trees we had the illusion of snow falling, all the petals of the flowers that had faded were falling around  us. I have used some salt in the wet paint of the background to try to recreate that illusion.

In the past I have always said that I am not a flower painter, and I still think so but by now I am learning to paint flowers 'my way' and I really like the results of the last few paintings I have made.

As I have written before, there were a lot of reference pictures made during our visit in the Tree Museum, so there is more to be painted. But I have painted enough Magnolias for now.

More information about this watercolour painting (materials used, size, availability, etc) can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment