Saturday 13 April 2019

Star Magnolia - in the Von Gimborn Tree Museum


Our visit to the 'Von Gimborn Arboretum' gave me the opportunity to make a lot of reference pictures and I have also made pictures of the name tags of the trees that inspired me.
This is a Magnolia x loebneri 'Raspberry Fun' and we call it a Star magnolia. 

At first I have made the picture for the tree's name, as I had painted a magnolia from the area where I live without knowing which tree it was. Looking at the picture I decided to paint the beautiful flowers.
There is only one flower in this painting, so here is my promise: there is another painting planned, but not painted yet.

For this watercolour painting I have really tried to challenge myself by including some of the branches and placing them before a dark background. 
The suggestion of a dark bush in the background is usually easy to paint in watercolours, now I had to keep the branches and most of all the flower white. I have used some masking fluid for the flower, but not on all parts, so I really had to be careful here.

Painting a white flower is also not just leaving the paper white, I had to place the shadows very carefully to be able to show the structure of the flower.
I think I have succeeded with this one.

More information about this watercolour painting (materials used, size, contact information, etc) can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment