Monday 8 April 2019

In the 'Von Gimborn' Tree Museum - a charcoal drawing


Last weekend we visited the 'Von Gimborn Arboretum' or Tree Museum again. We were there four years ago and loved the place very much. my brother invited us for a walk through the tree museum again and we were very happy to go. 

As it is springtime now, there are lots and lots of magnolia trees full with flowers, new foliage is growing on the other trees and there are even some blossoms beginning to show.
I have made lots of reference pictures, taking care to make a picture of the 'name tag' of each tree so I can give the name of the tree (most of the times in Latin) when I make a drawing or painting after my reference pictures.

Unfortunately the name of this tree could not be found, but I still wanted a reference for a charcoal drawing.
The tree is very back-lit so there are not much details visible, just some highlights that are green with moss.

For this drawing I have also used some tinted charcoal pencils, to make a difference between the dead tree trunks I often draw and this one, which is still very alive.
The tinted charcoal is only in the highlighted details, so it's hard to see in this small picture.
Unfortunately I did not get the colours right, the paper really is white.

Of course the tree is much taller than this drawing shows, but I liked this composition much better than a whole length portrait.

More information about this drawing (size, colours used, contact information, etc) can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment