Monday 7 September 2020

Timber

 


When we are walking in a woodland area, we always see stacks of timber waiting for transport. This time, walking in the 'Kralingse Bos' - a woodland area in Rotterdam - we saw a stack with some really old trunks that were already in decomposition in it. It had been raining, so part of the wood was almost black and there were a lot of herbs growing near this stack.
I felt inspired to make some reference pictures and climbed around this stack of timber to have pictures from all sides. 

The idea of working with charcoal on tinted cardboard came while I was making these pictures but when I was trying to find the right composition my husband suggested I should try to add watercolour pencils (these are the only coloured pencils I have).

Of course this was an experiment for me and a challenge. The chosen composition is almost abstract and that is not my usual style.
I selected a sheet of tinted cardboard  in a medium brown colour, so I could add some darkness with the charcoal where needed and the light green of the leaves would still be visible.

I started drawing the leaves and stems of the herbs with the pencils and added charcoal later. While I was working, I found that I could work with the pencils over a surface with a little charcoal on it, so I could add some depth in my drawing.  The patches of moss on the timber were not so easy, I have to practise a bit more on that.

The timber is done with charcoal and at first I despaired if it would ever be right, but halfway I got courage - things were looking good and I grew more and more confident about the way I had to draw these sawn off tree trunks.

This was an experiment for me and I am very happy with the result. 

The information about the materials I have used, the size and availability of this drawing  can be found in the link at the 'Galerie' page of my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment