Sunday 25 April 2021

Blueberries in the springtime sunshine

 



This time of lockdown, closed museums and other restrictions is a great opportunity to go for a walk in our nature - as if we need to find an excuse for such a walk.

Last week we went for a signposted walk in the beautiful nature near Rucphen (Netherlands) and we chose the only walk we had not done before. There were forest areas, fields with horses or cows, a bit of moorland and we had nice views towards the small villages that surround this bit of nature.

As it is Springtime now, the trees and plants were just starting to show their first leaves and in a spot of sunlight I saw these blueberries. Making some reference pictures was only natural and I made a watercolour as soon as I had the time to do so.

For this watercolour I have used my masking fluid to preserve the light leaves against the dark background. Both the forest floor and the backlit bushes behind the small plants were much darker and I wanted to show the fresh green of the plants in springtime.

The background and forest floor were painted first, the masking fluid removed and then I painted the blueberries. After I had finished them, I added more detail to the forest floor, which was full of dried autumn leaves, small branches and other 'forest debris'.

The information about the paper and paints I have used, the size of this watercolour painting, its availability and price are all in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment