Sunday 4 April 2021

North Sea Coast, Ouddorp

 



This week we had really warm days - when we had to work - and some cooler days - when we were free from work. On one of those cooler days this weekend we (my husband and me) went for a walk in the dunes and along the beach near Ouddorp (Netherlands).

It was a grey day, lots of clouds, a cold wind but no rain and not many other people around so walking was nice. The landscape is also great as we passed by some creeks just behind the dunes, the dunes themselves with their specific vegetation and walking back along the beach. There were no large waves as the wind did not come from the west and we think it was near low tide.

The only birds we saw at the waterline were oystercatchers and some seagulls, most birds were at the creek we passed earlier during our walk - more sheltered from the winds by the dunes and some trees.

There were some irregular spots at the waterline, as if there had been dunes a long time ago. A bit further on the beach there were reconstruction works going on, adding sand to the beach so we will stay protected from the sea as good as possible.

I made some reference pictures with that irregular spot as my subject and used these for a large watercolour painting. There is only sea and shore in my painting - and two very very small oystercatchers at the end of the small stretch of land that had some grasses growing on top (only to be seen with the camera zoomed in to the maximum). Unfortunately the beach was too wet to walk out there and see the details so I made the best of the reference pictures and my memory.

The information about the materials I have used, the size and availability of this watercolour painting can all be found in my Tumblr blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment