Monday 20 December 2021

Dark clouds over...

 


Very often there are the most beautiful dark clouds in our sky, especially when you are inside. On one occasion there were only clouds (no rain yet) late in the afternoon and I went out to make reference pictures. The first picture I made also showed the light of the shed in the back of the garden and its reflection in the window of the shed's door. That light reacts to a motion detector and my leaving the house did the trick. I decided to use that picture as my reference for a watercolour painting.

Of course my pictures were not very good, the clouds are perfect, but the visible part of our (small) garden are only dark shapes. For the painting I looked outside for reference and combined that with the atmosphere of the reference pictures. 

Getting the fence right (perspective, vanishing points etc.) was not easy and I am still not confident that I did get it right, but as not many of those that read this post will be visiting my home to check I just post the painting as it is. The fence is old and weathered and I am happy that I did paint that characteristic as true to reality as possible.

The atmosphere created by those dark cloud are my real subject and the result is as I hoped it would be.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this watercolour painting and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment