Sunday 12 December 2021

Village church - Sauerland

 


The reference for this watercolour painting is a sketch I made over nine years ago during a vacation in the Sauerland, Germany. I needed a Facebook challenge about painting churches or chapels to find this sketch again and make a painting.

For this painting I changed the season to a snowy scene in winter - at least I hope this is what a snowy day in winter looks like in the Sauerland. I live in a very flat country and do not really know how high hills (or low mountains) look like in winter. 

The sketch I made all those years ago was very limited, it only showed the church, one other building and lots of bushes and the lines of the hills in the background. Such a limited sketch allows for a lot of 'artistic licence' when making the final painting.

Using a limited palette and a lot of the mentioned artistic licence I made the painting I wanted to make.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this watercolour painting and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment