Friday 13 May 2022

Ahlhorner Kellersteine I - watercolour painting

 


While we were on our short vacation I did not take painting materials with me as the conditions in a vacation home are not great for painting. So the reference picture I made of the first one of the Ahlhorner Kellersteine was used for a graphite drawing while I was on vacation. There are two dolmens at this site, the other one will probably be painted later, there are several reference pictures.

Now I am back home, I can use my studio again so I took advantage of a free afternoon to make a watercolour painting using both the picture and the drawing as my references.

This scene needed a bit of negative painting with all those birch trees, both behind and in front of the dolmen. I decided to suggest the branches, foliage and some of the trees behind the dolmen instead of trying to paint all of them. A graphite drawing is very different from a watercolour painting and these suggestions give better, more painterly results than trying to include every little detail of the forest surrounding the dolmens. 

The result is what I hoped it would be so I am confident that I can draw or paint some of the dolmens we visited during our short vacation in the North of Germany.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this watercolour painting and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment