Saturday 28 May 2022

Walking near the Thülsfelder Talsperre (Germany)

 


During our short stay in the North of Germany we made several signposted walks and one of these is the experience path around the Thülsfelder Talsperre, a reservoir in a very unusual place. The reservoir is made to regulate the water flow in the river, so the nearby towns will not get flooded after heavy rains. The walk around the reservoir is about 10 kilometres long and in the southern part it passes by some smaller side arms of the lake. The walk includes one large and several smaller bridges, this is the first of the small bridges we passed. We did the walk anti-clockwise as it is meant to be done.

We came to this wooden bridge after we crossed a piece of moorland and directly after the bridge was a small area of peat moor. The path was dry and easy to walk though.

During the walk I made lots of (reference) pictures and I decided to challenge myself with this bridge.

A view like this is not my usual subject and I made really sure that I got the perspective of the bridge right before I started to paint.

As it is springtime the foliage is still nice and fresh with bright yellowish green shades. The reflections in the water show more clouds than are visible in the sky, but that is not unusual and depending on the angle of the camera. For this reference picture I chose to have the  horizon high.

After all the effort I put in the drawing of the bridge I also took care that the painted result would be 'right'. So there are details, but not too many, it still has to be a painting.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this watercolour painting and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment