Sunday 5 June 2022

A butterfly painting

 


A few years ago I made some pictures of a nice little brown butterfly that visited our garden and stayed in one place long enough for a picture. A week or so later I made a black and white drawing in  my sketchbook, made notes about the colours of the butterfly and never used it.

Looking through my sketchbooks in search of inspiration I found the sketches with notes and decided to make a small painting, using only the sketch as my reference. Only after the painting was finished I looked for the name of the butterfly on the internet and found it. We - or better the bush in our garden -  were visited by a Speckled wood (Pararge aegeria) that day.

As I had made a drawing/sketch of the butterfly I had to improvise the background and made the suggestion of the foliage the butterfly was using as its resting place. Its legs were not visible in  my pictures and so they were not included in the drawing either.  

For the composition I have combined the various poses that were in my reference pictures - and in my drawing. The colours are from memory and my notes, so they may not be accurate.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this watercolour painting and its availability can all be found in  my Tumblr blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment