Tuesday 29 May 2018

The sides of the road - at 'Landgoed Visdonk'


A few weeks ago we were walking a twelve kilometres long signposted walk along 'Landgoed Visdonk', a new area of protected nature near the town of Roosendaal, in The Netherlands. 
The first part of this walk passes by the agricultural parts of the estate. We passed by cows, horses, fields with leeks, fields with grass and this one. The field at the right hand side of the dirt road was unevenly planted with very young plants that could be almost anything.

My attention was attracted by the trees, their shadows on the dirt road and the puddles in that road with the reflections of the sky and trees in them.
The road around the puddles was wet and a few shades darker compared to the dry sand.

I have painted the planted field with some more variations in colours, shadows and the shades of green of the little plants than my reference picture was showing.  As this field was very uneven in the first place, I have only accentuated it a bit more.
The reference pictures do in fact show a very small part of the planted field, I made sure the tree and the road were clearly visible.
The colours of the sand are still a challenge for me, but I think I did well this time. I am learning which colours to mix to paint that very pale sand by trying again and again. In fact I am using some very dark colours and for this pale sand they are diluted with lots of water to obtain a resulting colour that is almost white.

More information about this watercolour painting can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment