Wednesday 4 July 2018

After the apple pie..


This little still life is the next one I have made after one of the prompts of WorldWatercolourMonth, Family Moments. As I have written in my previous post, I will try to make the best of this watercolour month by painting as much as possible.

As I do not have a dishwasher, washing the dishes has always been a bit of a family moment in my house.

For this still life I have sketched some empty coffee mugs, some cake dishes, some spoons coming out of the mugs and tried to find the right spot for the shadows.
After I have been drawing this sketch on my watercolour paper I have painted the shadows first with a mixture of blue and magenta. This technique is described often for still life paintings and I decided to give it a try. 
I have used rough paper again, so I worked wet-on-dry.
Once the shadows were dry I started to paint the dishes and the mugs, carefully waiting for each shape to dry before painting the one next to it. This is to avoid colour bleeding of course. 
The mugs and dishes have not been washed yet so there are some coffee stains visible.

There may be some mistakes with shadows, coffee stains or the shapes, but I really did enjoy sketching and painting this small still life. And mistakes are there to learn from.

More information can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment