Saturday 21 July 2018

Alblasserwaard, a quick Conté Pencil drawing


We had a great afternoon, painting in 'Natuur- en Vogelwacht Alblasserwaard' with members of 'Goed Gezien - Goed Bekeken'.
After I had finished my watercolour painting there was time left for another impression of the area. I did change my point of view just a little bit for more inspiration. This time I chose to make a Conté Pencil drawing.

The pollard willows are a feature of this part of The Netherlands so I just had to draw them.
These are relatively young, the area was designed and planted less than twenty years ago and is maintained beautifully and with a lot of love since then.
The pollard willow is for harvesting the young branches, they are left to grow for three or four years and then cut off. The trunk of the tree does not grow higher than a man's length or a bit less and will grow into twisted shapes, characteristic for the tree.
The harvested branches are used for many purposes such as fences, wood walls, weaving baskets and many more.

Drawing with the Conté Sketching pencils is one of the things I am still exploring. I did like doing this drawing and I have learned a bit more about my materials - and that was what I wanted.

More information can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment