Sunday 15 July 2018

On the beach!


This painting has a story that is unlike the other ones.
This one started as a submission for a contest with a 'Summer' theme. 
I adapted a scene I had sketched and painted last year and made it an impression of 'Plein Air' painting on the beach. The location is Hoek van Holland (Netherlands) very close to the Pier - where swimming is strictly forbidden.
Of course I did not have much chance in that contest and I forgot to publish the painting afterwards.

This month is WorldWatercolourMonth and I have promised myself to make the most of that, trying to use the prompts given as much as possible. 
The last week has been full of other things so I have decided to publish this little painting using the prompt "on the Beach" as its new title.

Even though I knew I did not have much chance in the contest I made this painting for, I enjoyed the challenge of adapting a sketch by adding a field easel with a watercolour painting in progress. This was sketched from memory and added in a nice spot in the original sketch. This was painted using the colours I had used in the original painting and some extra for the easel, the board and the 'painting in progress' on that board.

Sketching and drawing from memory - without a model in front of me - is something for which I did not have enough confidence in the recent past, but this exercise has given me a pleasant surprise.

More information (size, materials used, availability, contact information) can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment