Monday 21 January 2019

Behind the Cathedral


Between Christmas and New Year's Eve my husband and me went for a short vacation to Saarburg (Germany). I have already painted the beautifully frosted world we walked in but we did do more than that.
The first day of our vacation we started very early and made a stop in the ancient town of Trier and walked in the old city centre for a few hours. That day was already foggy and frosted, but inside a city it is always a bit warmer so we had no frost there. 
Without frost Trier is still a beautiful old town with lots of buildings that have a special history. We enjoyed our walk and made many pictures that also show a lot of other tourists. These could not always be avoided. 
We visited the Cathedral and did not have the time to see everything in there, but outside it is also a very special building, as there were chapels and crypts added to the original building over the past centuries. That can be seen behind the Cathedral, where the different architectures meet.

I made the reference pictures for this painting because the bare tree attracted my attention. It's standing in an open spot in the pavement, completely surrounded by 'city elements' and no other tree in sight. 
The tree is bare because of the winter but that adds to the somewhat alienated atmosphere I felt in that little square.
It took me some time before I started painting this watercolour painting, I needed to have a plan for the Cathedral first. There is a lot of architecture to be seen (and painted) even in this very small part of the building, but the Cathedral is not my main subject so I had to simplify. I think I have simplified enough here, I wanted the Cathedral still recognisable without all the details.

More information about this painting (materials used, size, availability, etc) can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment