Thursday 24 January 2019

Winter's light


These last few days we had a little bit of snow, grey skies and some days that are a bit brighter. There still is that lightly foggy atmosphere and everything seems to be back-lit. Most of the colours seem to have disappeared from the landscape, only the white and grey of the sky and the snow and dark colours for the trees, buildings and what is more to be seen in a landscape.
One of the brighter mornings I drove in my little car and noticed (the traffic of course, but also the views) the colours of the light in the sky, the reflections on the river and I was inspired to paint this. Of course I did not stop to do so at that very moment, but I can easily remember the atmosphere of such a  morning for a few days.

In my 'archives' I found a sketch I had made last summer and never used for a painting and  I started working from that view, making a new composition with the elements I had sketched.
The cranes, the houses, the pontoon are familiar sights at the river banks of the rivers Noord and Merwede that meet not far from the spot where I have made the first sketch.
And of course I found a spot with a view of trees to make my sketch.
All these were set in a winter's light as I had seen it a few days ago.

More information about this watercolour painting (size, materials used, contact information, etc) can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 



No comments:

Post a Comment