Monday 3 May 2021

Longhorn beetle

 


These past few years there is a lot of attention for the insects, as they are very important for plants and for us. Most insects are having hard times with climate change, insecticides, other types of pollution and so on. So a bit of awareness can do no harm.

My sister-in-law Yvonne makes beautiful pictures of these little creatures and I have asked for some reference pictures. These have been waiting 'in the archive' for almost a year now but as it is springtime again I just wanted to paint one of the beauties that are outside now.

Looking in a small book for its name I found a clue and the internet helped me with the determination. This is a Longhorn beetle or Leptura quadrifasciata. In real life they are 11 to 20 mm long and this one was on a plant (maybe feeding on the fresh leaves) when the picture was taken. The larvae live in trees, feeding on the wood. They can live two to three years.

Painting this beauty was a nice challenge for me, this really is different from painting a landscape but I like the change.

The information about the paper and paints I have used, the size of this painting and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment