Sunday 23 May 2021

Oosterschelde

 


The day we were walking along the Northern coast of Noord-Beveland, along the Oosterschelde we had sunshine most of the time. As there was not much wind, the water was relatively calm and clear. At the end of our walk there was a row of poles in the lowest part of the dyke. The poles are very close to each other and a human cannot pass between two of them, but there were some openings. I walked down, went through an opening and made some reference pictures. 

The construction of the opening is visible, both in the placement of the poles and in the shadows they cast. 
The row of poles is still 'closed', protecting either the dyke from large things being blown onto it or protecting the water from large things rolling down the dyke. The Oosterschelde is a Natural Reserve and has to be protected. 

The row of poles and their shadows inspired me at first to go down and make pictures, but when I was there, the colours of the water were more beautiful than we could see from the dyke (where the path was). 
Looking at the pictures I had made, I knew this was a great subject for a watercolour painting with all those beautiful shades of blue and aqua green in the water.
Looking at the pictures again I decided to make a mixed-media work using my watercolour paints for the landscape and water-soluble pencils to add details to the poles and the basalt blocks of the lowest part of the dyke and in the water.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this work and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.




No comments:

Post a Comment