Saturday 15 May 2021

The Drowned Land of Zuid-Beveland -- watercolour

 


Last week we were for a very short vacation in our province Zeeland and we made some nice walks near the shorelines of the Oosterschelde. Of course we (my husband and me) made lots of pictures and I have made some charcoal drawings during our stay in the vacation home. 

Now that I am back in my own home, where my little studio is, I can make watercolour paintings using the reference pictures I have made.

I started with one of the pictures I have made during our walk along the Drowned Lands of Zuid-Beveland. I have written about this beautiful but fragile piece of nature in my previous post.

This scene with the salt marshes and a bit of the mudflats in the background would not look very good in a charcoal drawing - the tones of the vegetation of the salt marshes are similar so that would be a lot of the same shade of grey. The same goes for the mudflats and the water in the background.

In reality there are  shades of blueish green and violet in the vegetation of the salt marshes The mudflats have the colours of wet sand and the water looks grey because we had a day with a grey sky without any contrasts.

For this painting I wanted to show the creeks in the salt marshes. Some creeks can be seen easily, the other ones can only be found when looking at the shadow lines in the vegetation. 

The information about the materials I have used, the size, the price and the availability of this painting can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment