Saturday 23 April 2022

Blossom, crab apple (Malus 'Royalty')

 



A lot of relatively small trees are standing in our neighbourhood, in the streets between the buildings a lot of beauty can be found in Spring and Autumn. 

This time I was inspired by a small tree with the blossoms mostly in buds and leaves that were just a little more brown than those flower buds. I made a reference picture for a watercolour painting and today I found the time to paint.

After I had spent a lot of time thinking 'how to do this?' (this is done in the days before I start painting so I already have a plan when I am stretching my paper) I decided on a background with the colours of the tree and the sky behind it. After that had dried, I started drawing leaves and flower buds until I had a nice composition. Changes were still possible and I let that depend on how the painting looked after the leaves and blossoms were painted.

Using a few shades of red, a brown and a blue the initial drawing was filled with colour and after that had been done, I added the suggestion of more foliage in the top part of the painting.

Then I had to find out what kind of tree inspired me to add that to the name of the painting. With help from my husband and Google I found it was a 'Malus 'Royalty'' or a crab apple tree.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this watercolour painting and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment