Wednesday 20 April 2022

Springtime in the Alblasserwaard (Netherlands)

 


A few months ago I was invited for a Facebook group - and accepted of course - called 'De Project Rembrandt Schildergroep' that is connected to an annual television contest about finding the best amateur painter. I will never try to participate in the television contest, because there is a lot of acrylic and oil paint involved and it very often is about painting people. Things I avoid for different reasons.

But I tried to enter the weekly home contest as often as possible and now the programme has ended (for this year) I will also try to enter the monthly challenges of the Facebook group. This month the challenge is about a springtime landscape, exactly my kind of subject!

My reference is a picture my husband made two years ago during a walk close to our home. When we cross the highway and railroad (by a very nice bridge) we are in the polder landscape of the Alblasserwaard and there these views with pollard willows, fields, ditches, and in springtime rapeseed flowers can be found easily.

The trees just have their first leaves, the rapeseed flowers are even brighter than I can paint and the fields are looking great, I cannot easily find a better 'springtime landscape' than this one.

Painting this scene was not that much of a challenge - after I got the perspective of the ditch, the trees and the fences right in my initial drawing - and I am happy that I managed to get the shadows right to recreate that sunny day we had our walk.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this painting and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment