Saturday 9 April 2022

(Easter) Bunny

 



In a week from now it will be Easter and the Easter-themed challenges or painting ideas are appearing on Facebook and other media. I do not make entries for all of them, but the challenge on one of my Facebook Groups was too nice to resist. Paint or draw an Easter Bunny or another Easter - fun themed work.

As I have never before been drawing a bunny I looked for references and found a line drawing to work from. There are no eggs in my final drawing, instead I added spring flowers.

A sheet of watercolour paper (cellulose based) was used and an under painting for the sky and grass was made and left to dry. Next step was a graphite pencil drawing of the bunny, using the line drawing I found as my reference. Usually the result of this procedure just looks like the original, I never can make an exact copy. It looks like a bunny and that is all I need.

This pencil outline is used for an oil pastel drawing. The oil pastels are new for me, I got a student grade box for free when I ordered art supplies last winter and I have used them only once before. I have layered and blended the colours until I was happy with the result or knew I had reached the limit of the materials. To place the bunny in a real field I added grasses and flowers with the oil pastels as well.

The result is even better than I hoped for, not a great work of art, but still a nice springtime scene.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this drawing and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment