Tuesday 7 June 2022

Lapje - a pencil drawing

 



When I am walking in our neighbourhood, to post a letter, to go to a shop or anything that might be needed that moment, I often meet the cats that live there. Saying 'Hello' is polite, so that is what I do. When I get an answer, we sometimes talk a little (me: 'How are you?' - he or she: 'Meow' and so on) and sometimes I ask permission to make a picture.

This beautiful Calico cat gave me her permission to make some pictures and I used these for a pencil drawing. I might also make a watercolour painting, but when I made the drawing I was at the 'Af-en-toe Kunstroute' and brought only some drawing materials with me.

The title is based on the Dutch name of a Calico cat: Lapjeskat, so it had to be Lapje. She was not very talkative and did not give her name, allowing me the freedom to choose a title.

For the black patches of her fur I mixed some dark colours, just like I would du when painting with watercolour paint because I had no black watercolour pencil with me.  Some of the dark hairs were more brown than black and using the mixing technique I could add brown to the fur without unnatural colour transitions.

The colour mixing may not result in a perfect black, it had to be a natural colour and I think I achieved that.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of the drawing and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment