Friday 24 June 2022

Weeping Willow 5 - limited palette

 



It is time to paint my weeping willow again! I have made the reference picture and a working sketch over a year ago in early Spring and used that sketch several times last year for a watercolour, changing the mood every time.

Today I wanted to revisit one of the limited palette formulas I used and I decided to combine the limited palette with the weeping willow. This limited palette has three balanced colours, placed at equal distances in the colour wheel (of twelve colours) so the resulting painting should be 'balanced' even though with my choice the primaries are not to be found in the painting. This limited palette is combined with a new toy; a 'Graphite Aquarelle' pencil or a water soluble graphite pencil. 

On my stretched paper I started painting without a preliminary sketch ( usually I mark the horizon and some important features) and the background was the first I painted, combined with the grass and the little pool beside the tree. After this had dried I added the tree and dried that again. 

Now it was play time and I started making marks with the pencil, adding a little water with my brush to make a wash effect. I soon found that I did not have to overdo this or my lines would disappear. Adding pencil lines on wet paper made them stand out more but not too much. I added lines to some of the 'weeping' branches and I darkened the tree trunk just above the ground, where no foliage was hanging over it. Some extended branches without foliage were added also with the pencil, using it dry on dry until I was happy with the result.

Of course there is more room for experimenting in next paintings, but I tend to do this step by step, so I can know the outcome of each new 'experiment'.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this work and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment