Sunday 19 June 2022

Play - Garden a mixed media experiment for a challenge

 


The June challenge of 'Goed Gezien - Goed Bekeken' is about a playground, but as the Dutch word has 'garden' in it instead of 'ground' I made a combination  of Play and Garden.

Last summer during my painting vacation we started with 'blind contour drawings' and as there was some very old playground equipment I made some drawings of these as well and never used them. 

For this challenge I used these drawings to make contour drawings with brandless wax crayons on a sheet of watercolour paper and added a picture of a flowery garden in watercolour. As expected, the wax lines were resisting the watercolour and the drawings of the swing, the football goals and the climbing device were still visible. 

Because I have used cellulose paper, I could use only one layer of watercolour so I added pencil marks to create some flower shapes. After all this I went over the wax lines again, as they were a bit weaker than I thought they would be and now the playground equipment is standing out a bit more than before.

At this point I could not hope to improve on my work any more (the materials and mostly the paper used are my limits here) so this is the result. It really is very different from my usual work, but I like the result of this experiment.

The information about the materials I have used and the size of this work can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment