Friday 10 August 2018

After the storm


A walk in Natural Reserve 'De Biesbosch', close to my home is always nice. This time we  saw this broken tree trunk, a left-over after a storm.
I used the pictures we made for a watercolour painting, concentrating on atmosphere, following the advice that was given to me during my painting vacation.

I have painted most of this painting in the wet-in-wet technique, layering paint to make the shadows deeper. The trees in the background are only suggested now and the field has only a few shadows to suggest different grasses.
The broken tree is the last thing I have painted, taking care to suggest (not to show) most of the details.

All of this looks easier than it is, layering dark colours is something that needs to be done with great care; a bit too much water in the brush and all previous layers will disappear.
The structures in the trees and bushes were shaped by paint and water, a result that cannot be reproduced. 
It really is an exciting experience when this happens the 'right' way. 

The next weeks, months, years I will practise this technique as much as possible, mostly because I do love the paintings I get in this way.

More information about this watercolour painting (materials used, size, availability, contact information, etc) can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 




No comments:

Post a Comment