Thursday 30 August 2018

Copper beech in springtime - first leaves


Last spring my husband and me made some signposted walks in Natural Reserves in The Netherlands. We made lots of pictures and I have painted from those references since then. 
These delicate new leaves were showing themselves during our walk at the 'Oude Buisse Heide' and I could not resist taking a picture. The tree is a Copper Beech (Fagus sylvatica 'Atropunicea)  and that is one of my favourites because of its beautiful colours and majestic shape. 
I had to 'gather courage' before I started to paint them, but now I have made the watercolour painting I am really happy with it.

To create the depth in this scene I  have used a trick from photography. The branch with the fresh leaves (my subject) is well defined, all other branches, leaves, trees, bushes etc are painted as vague shapes. The result looks a bit foggy and I like that atmosphere for this painting.

For the highlights on the branch and in the leaves I have used a Watercolour Stick on the dry painting. The structure of the paper helps me get that broken line.

More information about this watercolour painting (size, colours used, availability, etc) can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment