Monday 6 August 2018

Apple tree study


My painting vacation was all about learning. The workshops were meant to awaken our creativity and the time for 'free work' was to improve our skills. Our teacher Ad van Aart gave us the encouragement we all needed and guided us to better paintings.

One of the things I wanted to improve was my skill in painting trees, especially in placing the shadows in a tree with summer foliage. The garden of our residence for that week, Milonga was perfect for my purpose.

For this study I chose a branch of one of the apple trees and started out to draw it. There was not much time, so I took only one branch, not the whole tree.
After the drawing - or sketch - I took a piece of watercolour paper and tried to paint with only the drawing as my guideline.

This study was a nice experience. The drawing took most of the time I needed and after I had done that it was not hard to remember the difficult areas of the branch with apples  while painting the watercolour version.

More information about this study (paper and paint used, etc) can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment