Sunday 17 May 2020

Resting.....


After I had asked my daughter Mariska to send me some pictures with the 'Enchanted garden' theme, she also sent me a picture taken in 'Dierenpark Amersfoort', a zoo in our country.  
In that zoo there is a place called 'Ancient City' where a reproduction of an ancient Persian city is made to teach the visitors how people and animals used to live together long ago. There is also a 'palace' area where tigers are coming very close to the thick glass walls so they are easily spotted and photographed.
This one was taking a very necessary nap.

Of course I could have painted the tiger, or made a charcoal drawing, but I wanted to use my Conté Sketching Crayons this time. I still have to practise with these crayons a lot before there are no more surprises when I am working with them.

For my background I have chosen a tinted paper, a light grey. 
I have tried to simplify the background of the picture, which was full of large plants. I could mix and distribute the colours over the paper with my fingers and I have added some suggestions of the (bamboo like) plants later.
The tiger needed to be handled more carefully, to keep the white where it had to be and later to keep the stripes in place. 
When I thought I could do nothing more - mostly because the paper does not have much structure - I signed and secured my drawing with fixative spray.
Conté Sketching Crayons need a lot more fixative than charcoal, I already knew that from the first time I had used them.

The details about the materials I used, the size and availability can be found in the link at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment