Friday 14 September 2018

Poplar tree


Sometimes I use a sketch more than once. This poplar tree has already been the subject of a charcoal drawing, but at that time I did show much more details of the background and the surrounding landscape.
During my painting vacation our teacher also talked about our previous works and gave some tips we could follow to improve our future works. 

So I made a watercolour painting using the sketch of this tree and followed some of the advice I was given. 
The background is not detailed, only suggested by wet-in-wet painting. This technique also gives more muted colours, especially when the greens and browns are mixtures of more than one colour of paint. The dried paint gives an illusion of a foggy day.
The foreground is now only a suggestion of grasses and herbs.
The surrounding landscape is still here, but does not distract the viewer's attention from the subject of the painting.
Once again I concentrated on the atmosphere of the painting. 

This was to be a 'portrait' of the poplar tree, so this tree is a presence in the painting.


More information about this watercolour painting (materials used, size, availability, etc) can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 



No comments:

Post a Comment