Monday 10 September 2018

The waterfall in the Japanese garden - Amersfoort Zoo


Most of the zoological gardens in The Netherlands are very nice places, not only because of the animals but also because of the park area. The 'Dierenpark Amersfoort' is one of those zoos with nice large trees, a lot of plants and a great scenery.
This Zoo has a small Japanese Garden, with some rocks, places for meditation and a pond with Koi carp and a waterfall. 
The day we visited 'Dierenpark Amersfoort' was a very hot, sunny day so I found myself a spot in the shadows and sketched the waterfall while the others were exploring other parts of the Zoo. After I had finished my sketch I also made a reference picture to remember the colours.
This watercolour painting is based on the sketch, with a very little bit of help from the picture.

The paper I have used here is new for me, this is a quarter of a sheet Arches grain fin. I have soaked and stretched it and started drawing the most important lines as soon as the paper was dry. After that.... painting!

Rocks like these are something I do not often see in our landscape so they still are a challenge for me. The trees behind the rocks and the water of the pond were easier.
This place, hidden in the small Japanese Garden was filled with shadows from the trees behind and above the rocks and the rocks themselves that blocked most of the light.
So the  white, falling water and the green plants that grow between the rocks do stand out against the dark, wet rocks.
The water of the pond looked dark because of the shadows of the rocks.

There were lots of other visitors and the little bamboo fence I had chosen to sit on was not very comfortable so after I had finished my sketch I joined the others for our lunch.

If I had been alone in that place it would have been very relaxing and I have tried to show that quality in my painting.

More information about this watercolour painting (size, materials used, availability, contact information, etc) can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment