Monday 3 September 2018

Skyscrapers!


According to the list of subjects suggested for this month (September 2018) by Doodlewash today is Skyscraper Day.

In The Netherlands we do not have real skyscrapers, due to the condition of our soil. For inspiration I had to go to the Internet, to find me some reference pictures of skyscrapers.  Of course I have used a vanishing point and a lot of lines (and my eraser), for the perspective has to be right in a composition like this.

I had already decided that I would make a painting 'looking up'. The reason for this choice lies in the Dutch name for these buildings; 'wolkenkrabbers' which translates to 'cloud scrapers'. I wanted the buildings to disappear in the clouds and a 'looking up' view would make painting that just a bit more challenging.

As it all had to be imaginary I have not copied the glass buildings that can be found on the Internet, but decided to use the colours of bricks for my buildings. This way they look more like the buildings that can be found in The Netherlands.

For this painting I have used the cellulose paper I had bought recently and this time the 'fight' was just a little bit harder. This could be caused by the fact I had to do buildings with straight lines this time, combined with the vague shapes in the clouds.
My hairdryer has done a good job here, more than once.

Once again I have used the suggestion by Doodlewash to try something I do not usually do. This time I have painted imaginary buildings in an unusual perspective. 

More information about this watercolour painting (size, materials used, availability, etc.) can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment