Sunday 5 April 2020

Alienation




The April challenge of our regional amateur art association is 'Alienation' and that is of course because of the strange times we are having at the moment. We have to practice 'social distancing', we have to stay at home or close to home as much as possible, grocery shopping is done alone and we work from home. 
All meetings, (art) festivals and other gatherings are cancelled so we can only go 'out' in our nature, which is discouraged. This is happening all over the world now but I write it down for future readers, to remind them about the circumstances at the time I made this painting.

A few weeks ago, just one day before all things closed down in The Netherlands (because of the corona virus) we went for a walk on the beach. We did chose a beach that is not so very popular, so we had a nice walk without too many other people coming too close. We already had to practice 'social distancing' at that time.
We made some nice pictures of the waves walked for more than an hour and went home again.

I decided to use one of the pictures that were made at the beach for the 'Alienation' challenge.
I have tried to omit the horizon in order to get the alienation that is asked for in this challenge. There are several reasons for that and I will try to explain them all.

In our rather flat landscape there always is a horizon. In fact, there is another online challenge at the moment which uses that ever present horizon as its theme.
When we are looking at a landscape our eyes always try to find the horizon and a photograph is 'not good' when the horizontal line is not found.
And I remember reading that the paintings J.M.W. Turner made about ships in stormy weather were thought to be alienating because the horizon was nowhere to be found in these scenes.

So I have made a seascape with a bit of beach, some waves, the sea and clouds but I have not marked the horizon. I hope this will do for the challenge.

Painting these waves was a bit of a challenge for me, mostly because I have not done this very often. I know I need to practice more and I really will do so somewhere in the future.

The details about the paper and paints used, the size and availability can all be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment