Sunday 19 April 2020

Fresh leaves on the poplar


The first leaves of the poplar trees (Populus ×canadensis) have a colour that is between orange and brown in the first week, after that they grow green.
On a walk close to our home we passed by a young (small) tree, so I could make some reference pictures of the fresh leaves. 

This time I started with a sketch, thinking of my composition and positioning the groups of leaves while I was drawing. Satisfied with my composition I started painting.
First the background, using the colours that would be used for the leaves and branches. The background was only a little bit planned and I placed my sketched composition where the background colours 'allowed' it.

The leaves were painted in several layers and later the branches were added using very watery paint.

The details about the paper and paints I have used, the size and availability are at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment