Saturday 11 April 2020

Chestnut tree - leaves


In the chestnut tree in my front garden the leaves and a lot of flower buds are already growing. The leaves are still a bit curled and have that nice light green colour of springtime.
Early this morning I made some reference pictures for this watercolour painting. 
In fact, this is the kind of painting I wanted to do two years ago, but I had not yet been instructed about how to do this. Last summer, during my painting vacation our teacher gave me lots of help, encouragement and instructions so now I am much more confident about painting like this.

For this watercolour I started with a yellow and green background and dried that completely. Using a light green watercolour pencil I drew some chestnut leaves on my paper, using the pictures I made this morning as my reference. I did not aim to make a reproduction of reality, I just wanted  the illusion of a branch with a lot of fresh leaves.
The leaves were painted using the same yellow and blue (mixed to several shades of green) and a brown that is present in the veins of the leaves.

The details of the paper and paints I have used, the size and availability can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment