Monday 13 April 2020

White (and yellow) tulips


My mother had a bouquet of tulips that at first seemed yellow, but when opened the flowers were almost white. The veins were still yellow and faded over time.
I have made some reference pictures when I visited her and decided to make a small watercolour painting.

Because the flowers are (almost) white, I have chosen a white (cellulose) paper to paint on. This paper does not allow my usual wet technique for the backgrounds I like to paint so the leaves of the flowers are more than a bit suggested.

The flowers were not painted at first and later I added the yellow veins and the greenish yellow of the bottom of the flowers. There are also some shadows and I have painted one flower that still has to open, to show the yellow colour of the buds.

This painting was done just for the fun of it and never intended to be 'a work of art'. I did enjoy painting these flowers and of course I had some practice in 'how to paint a white flower'.

The details about paper and paint used, size and availability can be found at my website
www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment