Saturday 18 April 2020

Hyacinthoides non-scripta or a wild hyacinth


Last week my daughter Mariska sent me a picture she made during a walk near her home.
The flowers are what we call 'wild hyacinths' (the common English name is bluebell) and  in our country you can also find pink variations.

Because we live in strange times now, all confined to our homes or the areas close to our homes I am painting subjects that have not been my first choice in the past, but are an inspiration now.
This time I just wanted to paint the flowers and try a technique that is not my usual one.

I decided to make a small watercolour on paper with less structure compared to my usual watercolour paper. The technique had to be a bit different because of that, I painted almost dry on dry, and worked very quickly, I did not have to wait for my paint to dry.
This paper can handle only small amounts of water before buckling and I did not dare to paint in more than two or three layers. 

The result is what I hoped for, a nice painting of a pink flower.

The details of the paper and paint I used, the size and contact information are at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment