Sunday 27 December 2020

Holterberg - a watercolour painting

 


Last autumn we were close to the 'Sallandse Heuvelrug' - one of our Natural reserves - and we made signposted walks every day. Every walk was in a different area of the Natural reserve and we did see the 'Holterberg' on one of these walks. I have made some reference pictures of a beautiful and inspiring spot there and while we were still on vacation I made a charcoal drawing after one of these pictures.

The second picture was made from another angle and today I used it to make a watercolour painting.

In the foreground there could be a path or just forest ground, marking the edge of the hillside. There were lots of fallen branches and autumn leaves on the forest ground, and in between the leaves there are patches of moss and grasses. All these are suggested, only the biggest branches are painted as they were.

There are some young pine trees and young birch trees at the sides of the path and on the hillside, and I have tried to capture the bright green colours of these small trees. 

Once again, the picture I made for publishing is not exactly like the painting where the colours are concerned and I had trouble adjusting it. If I shift to more yellow for the colours of the trees I will lose the blue sky and if I try to make the sky more blue (like I painted it), I lose the brightness of the trees. Quite a dilemma here so I have decided to lose a bit of both.

The information about the paper and paints I have used, the size and availability of this watercolour painting can all be found in my Tumblr blog



No comments:

Post a Comment