Thursday 3 December 2020

Sallandse Heuvelrug - Starry night

 


In my previous post I mentioned that I live in a built-up area and the sunsets can only be seen well from a high place. In the area where I live there also is always light, from homes, from street lanterns, from industry and we can even see light from greenhouses that are far away.

So a starry sky is not visible where I live, only the strongest, brightest stars can be seen in the right circumstances.

When we were on vacation, that 'light pollution' was far away and we did take the shortcut out of the vacation parc to stand on the road at the edge of the field to watch the stars a few times. Of course there were clouds and we were close to some trees, but I enjoyed the view very much. We did not take any photographs, so this painting is entirely from memory and imagination.

In my painting I have included some trees as they are in winter. These trees help the viewer to understand where up and down are in the painting.

The clouds are placed behind the trees - so these are visible - and the stars can be seen through a hole in the cloudy sky. I have used my memory and imagination for the stars and what is in the painting is not a real depiction of the starry night in my country.

For this painting I have used a black paper for my background and painted in white gouache.

The details about the materials I have used, the size and availability of this painting can be found in my Tumblr blog

No comments:

Post a Comment