Thursday 31 December 2020

The mud flats of Voorne in winter - a charcoal drawing

 



When we were walking along the mud flats of Voorne a last week, I made several reference pictures and I also made and posted a watercolour painting. In that blog post I mentioned that there also was a lot of grey in the landscape and I would do a charcoal drawing after another picture of the views we had.

This is not a charcoal drawing on a white background, as I had in mind when I wrote that. Instead I have chosen a sheet of watercolour paper with more structure than the paper I usually use for my charcoal drawings and I made a blue watercolour underpainting as a base for the drawing. The paint is not applied evenly but there is a gradient from top to bottom.

On that blue background the willow charcoal turned out a bit too black to my taste so I added some hints of colour to the mud flats and the dunes on the horizon with my Tinted Charcoal Pencils. 

Using my fingers and a piece of tissue paper to blend the colours finished this drawing, the last one of this year.

The information about the materials I have used, the size and availability of this drawing can be found in my Tumblr blog

No comments:

Post a Comment