Thursday 24 December 2020

The mud flats of Voorne in Winter

 


Last weekend we went for a walk along the Natural Reserve 'Slikken van Voorne' or the mud flats that have formed south of the Maasvlakte. The Natural Reserve is not open to the public, but the outskirts are good for a nice walk. 
There are footpaths and a signposted walk so we had a nice afternoon with great views and some nice fresh sea air. And some unexpected rain but not too much. 

As it was almost the shortest day, the sun was low and the reflections of the light on the water were great. I made lots of reference pictures and had a hard time selecting the best for the painting I wanted to make.
The view is great and somewhere on the horizon is also the next island, Goeree, with its sand dunes. The horizon of my painting is not horizontal because of that.

In my summer painting of the Mud flats I have painted only these mud flats, with the streams of sea water that are in between.
This time I also wanted to show the clouds that did bring the rain, but also the beautiful colours in the light shone beneath them and was reflected in the water. 

Because of the clouds and the time of the day, the sand of the mud flats was dark and almost grey, with a hint of colour from the light. I have made some pictures during this walk that only have shades of grey as I did not have any sunlight at that moment. These pictures will be good references for a charcoal drawing. (to be made in the future)

The information about the paper and paints I have used, the size and availability of this watercolour painting can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment