Tuesday 25 August 2020

City vs Nature - 2

 


When I was looking for inspiration and references for my first 'City vs Nature' work, I was looking for a city skyline and trees. I found something much more inspiring and I used the images I found but the first idea was still there, wanting to be painted.

So today I looked at city skylines and city scenes for inspiration and painted a city scene that is imaginary, but inspired by a lot of real cities. Once again I did not paint a lot of details because I wanted to draw over this painting with charcoal.

The trees in this scene are not there, which is exactly what happens in reality when big cities are built. I have outlined the foreground branches and the trees in the background on the left and filled in the 'negative space' with charcoal. 
The watercolour painting behind the charcoal had to stay visible, I have used the right amount of charcoal to reproduce that feeling of greyness that seems to be present in all big cities.


This mixed media was an experiment for me, it is the first time that I have been filling the 'negative space' with charcoal. 
Covering all those sharp angles and staying away from the spaces that had to stay untouched by the charcoal was a challenge. It made me use a piece of tissue instead of my fingers to rub out the charcoal.

The information about the paper and paints I have used, the size of this work and the availability can be found in the link at the 'Galerie' page of my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment