Saturday 22 August 2020

The mud flats of Voorne (Netherlands)

 


The last day of our week full of lessons and advice from our teacher Ad van Aart I wanted to make a watercolour painting after the reference pictures I made during a walk in our beautiful nature.
My husband and me went for a walk at the South end of the Maasvlakte, where over the last decades some new nature has formed where the sea used to be. The mud flats are not accessible for public, these are resting areas for birds and seals. When we were there, the seals were out, but some birds were feeding near the water.

The lesson of using only two elements in my painting (water and one other) is applied here as well, so I have only painted the mud flats with the streams and the sea in the background. The horizon is at the top of my painting.
The advice I got from Ad for this painting was mostly about preserving the light in my painting, the sunshine on the water and on the wet sand in the background were important features to remember while painting. Where there is sunlight, there also are shadows and that is what I used to define the shapes of the sand banks and mud flats. 

This painting took me almost a whole day to paint, drying time was long as the air was damp and I had chosen a larger size paper.

The information about the paper and paints I have used, the size and availability of this watercolour painting can be found in the link at the 'Galerie' page of my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment