Saturday 15 August 2020

The forest edge

 


Last week I had a warm but wonderful painting vacation on the edge of the village of Holthees, in the Netherlands. Our teacher and coach was Ad van Aart.

This year I wanted to work on my skills in painting water, from lakes to rivers, from reflections to waterfalls and this little trench on the edge of the forest near our residence of the week is my first project of the week.
We started as usual with some exercises in 'blind contour drawing' and I made some of this trench. I also made some reference pictures. The pictures did show a lot of light at the end of the trench, where reality did show more landscape. I like the light effect and decided to combine that element of my picture with the lines in my 'blind contour drawing'.

Of course I did return to the scene in the afternoon to check on the trees and bushes to make the forest ground beside the edges of the trench more lively. There were some grasses and herbs on the foreground - where I was standing - and I have suggested these as well.

Combining a very loose draing with a reference picture and reality was a nice challenge for me and I am happy with the advice given to me by our teacher Ad to improve my painting.

The information about the materials I have used, the size and availability of this watercolour painting can be found in the link on the 'Galerie' page of my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment