Sunday 16 August 2020

Water - lakes and rivers

 


This painting vacation I wanted to improve my skills in painting water - rivers, lakes, sea and more. 
Our teacher and coach, Ad van Aart, advised me to choose a reference picture that could be used to paint the water plus only one element - sand, rocks, a tree line in the distance and try to paint different  atmospheres. He also told me to make more small paintings, so I divided my stretched sheet of paper in two using some tape and painted two small paintings that are from the same reference picture on one sheet of paper.

I have chosen two reference pictures, one picture shows a small lake, with sand in the foreground and some shallow parts  the other picture shows a fast flowing river close to my home, with basalt rocks in the foreground and the other side has some bushes.
The scene with the lake is painted twice, on Grain Fin paper and on Grain Torchon paper.
I used this exercise to compare the two papers and learn to paint on the Grain Torchon paper.

Of course these paintings are exercises, not meant to be real pieces of art, though I have done my best to make the little scenes as beautiful as possible.
Painting on the Grain Torchon paper for the first time was not really easy, but I got used to it very quickly. It was hard for me to leave 'hard egdes' in the scenes that are having a foreground, the ones with the background - that depict water that is further away - were more my usual style. Still I think I did not do too badly.

The information about the paper and paints used and the availability can be found in the link on the 'Galerie' page of my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com


No comments:

Post a Comment