Wednesday 19 August 2020

Waterfall, Iceland

 


The plan to improve my skills in painting water also led to half an hour viewing pictures our teacher Ad van Aart had made in Iceland, with waterfalls, melting ice and more.
I was allowed to make some 'screenshots' from his laptop with my camera and use them to paint from.

This beautiful waterfall was the first to be painted and the mist beside it was an extra challenge. 
Ad told me that the foreground plateau ended abruptly and that the waterfall dropped much deeper than was visible from the point where the picture was taken.

The black volcanic rocks of Iceland are another challenge to paint, the dark colour is very different from any other landscape I have ever painted.

So I did take my time for this one, also because we still had very hot weather and the heat could not be avoided, the shadows of the trees did not bring any refreshment.

Of course I needed some guidance with this one - that is why I go to a week of painting lessons - but I learned that painting a waterfall is just looking good at the reference and reproducing that on my paper. Of course this is not an exact copy of the picture, but I have got the rocks behind the water in the right place and that what matters most.

Again I was surprised, honoured and happy that one of my fellow students wanted to buy this watercolour. 

The information about the paper and paints I have used can be found in the link at the 'Galerie' page of my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment