Friday 22 June 2018

Blijdorp Zoo - at the Terrace


Each year I make a visit to Blijdorp Zoo in Rotterdam with my mother. We like to walk there and watch the lions, tigers, giraffes, polar bears, elephants and.....
The area is not only a Zoo, but also a botanical garden and we enjoy the trees and bushes as much as we like the  animals.

This time the weather was a bit cold, so we entered one of the restaurants for some coffee. This restaurant is part of the 'Rivièra Hal', one of the National Monuments in Blijdorp Zoo. We were close to a window and had a nice view of the Terrace and especially on one of the old plane trees (Platanus). As we were waiting for the coffee, I took out my sketchbook and pencils and started to draw what I could see. Of course I had finished my coffee before the sketch.
Behind the tree was a part of the edge of the Terrace  visible. Like most of the architecture in Blijdorp Zoo, this is also beautifully designed.

I have decided to draw this scene using charcoal and my Tinted Charcoal pencils. The addition of some colour makes the scene a bit more gentle. 

More information (colours and paper used, size, availability, etc) can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment