Wednesday 27 June 2018

The ramparts of Nieuwpoort (Netherlands) - a watercolour painting


After a very little bit of thought I decided to make a watercolour painting after the Conté drawing I had made on the ramparts of Nieuwpoort. 
I had not made a reference picture, so for this painting I have been using my memory to paint the right colours.

In summertime that means lots of shades of green for the foliage of trees and bushes and another green, sometimes mixed with a hint of blue for the different grasses. 
The tree trunks are a very dark brown. Some trees have a dark brown colour while others are almost white. These are the dark ones.

The houses stand out a little more, as they do in reality. In fact it was the view of the roofs and the tops of the houses that made me choose this spot to make the first drawing.
Usually I do not select a spot with lots and lots of rooftops, but painting in a town and not having buildings in one of my drawings did not feel right. So I compromised and this is the result.

More information about this painting (size, materials used, availability) can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment