Saturday 20 February 2021

Bear

 



This week the Lockdown Challenge is about animals, all kind of animals.

Of course I can find another cat picture in my albums - the pictures are mostly made by my daughter - but there are more possibilities.

Many years ago I made a sketch of one of the bears that live in the Bear Forest in Ouwehands Dierenpark (The Netherlands). Of course I asked politely for permission to draw a portrait. He or she stayed in one place, in one pose during the time I needed to make the sketch and after I had finished, the bear stood up and walked away. 

When I made that sketch, I was just beginning to draw from life and I was very insecure about drawing animals. The sketch turned out very well and I have been planning to turn it into a bigger work for years, but it stayed as it was.

So now I have looked for the sketch, used it as my reference and made a drawing with my Conté Sketching Crayons on white cardboard. I was a bit disappointed that some of the lines I made - and I thought I had blended the whole surface - appeared again when I used my spray fixative. But that may be a lesson learned for the next time.

I will submit this drawing for the challenge and there is another one I will add to this one (it is possible to enter up to three works each week) and maybe I will have time to make another cat drawing - or painting.

The information about the materials I have used for this drawing, its size and availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog 


No comments:

Post a Comment